Esme who calls herself Esme- Coco ( i have lost count of her name changes), that is my daughter ,has expressed her displeasure at the cakes i have been baking over the past week. She said meh to my cakes everytime i asked her if she would like some.
So this week i decided to bake a white cake that we all can enjoy as a family. I love White cake, had it at a party once and have spent a lot of time online looking for a from scratch white cake recipe. Most of the recipes i have seen for white cakes contained box cake mix. Though i must say box cakes do produce some nice cakes i am not a fan. I would rather bake from scratch.
To my delight i finally found a from scratch White cake recipe on I am Baker , who found the recipe on Epicurious who got it from Cooks Ilustrated. I know, long story.
The white cake was frosted with Swiss Meringue Buttercream, which Esme loves. The only frosting she will eat, she turns her nose up at regular buttercream. Esme is a fussy eater. I could go on and on about the long list of foods she will not eat. I shall not digress though.
This white cake is truly fantastic and i am pleased to say Miss fussy eater loved it. Not a crumb left on the plate. I must say this has got to be one of the best cakes i have had. It is light ,fluffy and just totally scrumptious( Esme's words).
It is a super simple cake to make and goes well with any frosting. I chose Swiss Meringue beacause Miss fussy pants loves that and so do i. Swiss Meringue Buttercream is such a delicious frosting, not too sugary and has this velvety silky texture.
As this was a cake made for Esme, i frosted it in her favourite colours, pink . Pretty in Pink White Cake, for a young lady who's favourite colour is pink..
White Cake Recipe
Cake Flour: It is not available in the UK, so i make mine. Cake flour is different to all purpose(plain )flour as it has a much lower protein( gluten) level than all purpose(plain Flour). So cakes made with lower protein cake flour will have a finer more tender crumb than those made with all purpose(plain) flour.
Recipe for Cake Flour
For every cup of all purpose( plain ) flour you take out 2 tablespoons of flour and replace with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
Sift the flour and cornstarch together, sift again and again. The cornstarch and flour need to be well incorporated and flour aerated. sift the flour and cornstarch mixture about 5 times. You have cake flour.
270g cake flour
240ml whole milk ( you can use semi skimmed/ skimmed milk)
6 large egg whites or 180g egg whites( i use 2 chicks liquid egg whites)
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
350g granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
180g unsalted butter, softened but still cool,cut into cubes
Grease 2 8 inch round cake tines and line base and sides with non stick baking paper
- Heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Pour milk, egg whites, extracts into a jug and mix with a fork until blended.
- Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in bowl of mixer on slow speed. Add cubed butter and continue beating.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to flour mixture and beat at medium speed ( high if using handheld mixer) for 11/2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat for 1 minute more.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 prepared cake pans ( i use a measuring cup to ensure batter is divided evenly) Spread batter to pan walls.
- Bake until toothpick or skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Let cake cool in cake tin for about 5 minutes. invert the pan onto rack and let cake cool completely.
- Ice cake with favourite frosting.