I love carrot, just not steamed carrot. That's weird right! Juice it, make a coleslaw out of it, i will drink it and eat it . Steamed carrot is a big No No. This recipe is easy, you beat the eggs and sugar, add the oil , flour and spices, coconut and crushed pineapple. Then finally the grated carrots go in. When it came to grating the carrots i thought of using my food processor but all the washing up of the attachments put me off. I got my arm exercises done using a manual grater. :-)
I have tried many many cream cheese recipes but mostly end up with runny cream cheese which doesn't hold when piped. Finally i found a wonderful recipe on Cake Central which advised that the cream cheese be added last to ensure the right consistency of cream cheese icing. This cream cheese is a delicious delight which pipes and holds well atop the carrot cupcakes.
These adorable nest made from toasted coconut flakes ,cream cheese frosting and topped with pastel mini eggs are perfect for a Easter celebration.
Carrot Nest Cupcakes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
135g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
50g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
2 large eggs
120ml ( 3/4 cup or 4 fl oz) vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
135g (1 cup + 2 Tbsp) plain flour
13/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
11/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50g (1/2 cup) sweetened dessicated coconut
80ml (1/3 cup)crushed pineapple
150g (1 cup) finely grated carrot
Cream Cheese Frosting
60g (1/4 cup) butter , at room temperature
300g ( 3 cups) icing sugar
230g (8 oz ) cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners
- In bowl of mixer (or using a handheld mixer) beat sugar and eggs until thick and creamy. Add oil and vanilla extract.
- Sift together flour, spices, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, and desiccated coconut and add to sugar mixture and beat until combined. Fold in crushed pineapple and grated carrot until incorporated.
- Evenly fill cupcake cases with batter and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into centre of cupcake comes out clean
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack and leave to cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter until light. With the mixer on low speed slowly add icing sugar and beat until well combined.
- Add cream cheese to mixture and beat until fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Fill piping bag with cream cheese frosting and pipe a rose swirl on top of cupcake ( i used a 1M open star nozzle)
- Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes around the edges of the frosting
- Place 2 or 3 mini eggs in the centre of cream cheese frosting
If you do not like your cream cheese too sweet you can add less icing sugar and more cream cheese
For a stiffer consistency icing reduce the amount of cream cheese added