On Friday my daughter's school closed for Easter Break and so i thought for as a treat for the children at her after school club i would make some Easter egg chocolate chip cookies.
Every supermarket has had Easter eggs on display for over a month now with price wars and me being the bargain hunter i am i was going to buy Easter eggs with the best value for money. During one of my lunch time jaunts to my fav local supermarket i went on the hunt for bargains. There was the option of buying Cadbury Easter eggs or buying the supermarket brand. Being as it was chocolate i had a look at the ingredients to see which one had more cocoa content and i was pleasantly surprised when they both had the same amount of cocoa content and milk chocolate solids. Price wise the shop own brand beat Cadbury's. I got a bargain with the buy one get one free with the shop own brand and with an added bonus of it tasting nice as well.
The cookie recipe i used was from a recipe i found on Sally's Baking Addiction. I have never been one to bake cookies because i've never been happy with the results. Sally's recipe made the best home made cookies i have ever had. I barely adapted her chocolate chip cookies by adding chocolate Easter eggs and i used light brown sugar instead of the dark brown sugar. These cookies are soft, squidgy and thick. Everyone loved them, i think there adults more so than the children. :-) As soon as i arrived to pick up my daughter i was met with the greeting those cookies are lovely. Even the school office staff had some.
Easter Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies
170g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
50g (1/4 cup) caster/granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
250g (2 cups) plain flour
2 teaspoons corn flour or corn starch
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
100g (1/2 cup) chocolate chip cookies
180g (1 cup) mini chocolate easter eggs
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and creamy
- Beat in egg and vanilla ans scrape down sided of bowl as needed
- Sift flour, corn flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda as set aside
- With mixer on low speed add flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and mini chocolate eggs and mix until evenly disbursed
- Wrap dough up in plastic wrap and chill for at least hour or overnight
- Remove cookie dough from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius. Line baking trays with non stick baking paper.
- Scoop balls of dough and roll into balls. Dough will be slightly crumbly, but will come together once balls are rolled individual by hand. Space dough balls 1 inch apart.
- Bake in oven for 8 - 9 minutes until barely brown around the edges.
- Leave to cool on baking tray for a couple minutes to firm up and then transfer to cooling rack