For as long as i can remember shortbread biscuits have been one of my favs. Once i take a bite of these cookies i literally cannot stop. It's just the rich tender crumbly texture of shortbread biscuits that i just love. Traditionally shortbread biscuits are made from one part white sugar, two parts butter and three parts flour. High quality butter and pure vanilla extract are a must for a good quality shortbread. My favourite vanilla extracts are Taylor and Colledge Queen Vanilla Bean Extract and Nielsen-massey vanilla extract. Waitrose stock both vanilla extracts in their supermarkets and Nielsen can be found in Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons.
Loaded with vanilla ice cream these biscuits make a wonderful summer dessert. I am sure these cookies will be fab with salted caramel ice cream or whatever flavor of ice cream you love. If you love cookies and ice cream then this dessert is for you. Heaven in a dessert, just absolutely sublime.
Shortbread Biscuit Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Yield: 12 - 14 large cookies
65g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
120g (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
120g ( 1 cup) plain flour
80g (2/3 cup) corn flour
pinch of salt
- Sift plain flour, cornflour, caster sugar and salt together into a bowl.
- Rub in butter with finger tips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Work the mixture to form a soft dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees celcius. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to 1/2 cm thick and cut out round shape using a cookie cutter and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Re-roll scraps and cut out more shapes.
- Prick all over with a fork and refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm up cookies
- Bake in oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Let ice cream sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to soften.
- Place cookies face down and scoop ice cream on top and top with second cookie and squeeze them together a bit to push ice cream to edges.
- Eat immediately or wrap with plastic wrap and place in freezer until later.